Wednesday, September 1, 2010

On my design wall...




This is what I have been working on this week: 2 series of quilts. The second, is back to a design I remember enjoying. I liked making the little squares, putting them together and then putting them into a bigger design. I was going to try to do something different than before, but I found myself putting the small squares into bigger squares to make blocks, and even thinking about borders! Agh! So I have a plan for the next one, and that will be to join the small blocks into rows, and maybe that will help me avoid squaring things up too much. I love all the colors! I started with a bag of scraps I was about the throw out and now I have used up quite a bit of my little scraps.

The other quilt was the result of wanting to work with big shapes and combine curves and straight lines. I finally got it to work in a way I like. It reminds me of bowls. I have a collection of pottery bowls, and wooden boxes too. I want to continue this too, and will keep using this bowl shape.

I have spent a little time dyeing this week-my fabric bins are almost full, but now I see I need more off-whites, and golds of all shapes.

2 comments:

  1. I like them both and what fun it will be to see this series develop. Fun to see curves too. You have been busy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving both of them. You could seriously do tons of the square motif and I would never grow tired of it. The colors are wonderful and flow so nicely. Your big shapes make a strong statement. Very modern. It will be interesting to see how you develop these 2 series.

    Thanks for the design wall info.

    ReplyDelete

All images and works are property of Gail Baar, and cannot be used without her permission. ©